When I’m out and about on the F800GS I’m usually in ‘adventure’ mode, which is really my way of saying I’m off travelling, usually solo, for extended periods in the middle of fsm only knows where, wild camping and going off road. My other bike, a GTR1400 is my pure road bike, a mile crunching super sports tourer. When I’m on this I’m usually not doing anything like I would on the GS, I might be camping at a campsite but I aint going anywhere near an off road track or trail or wild camping. The GTR is for short, or long trips touring, perhaps 2-up, but most likely solo and staying in hotels or hostels. So here’s the kit I take on my ‘adventures’, the lessons I’ve learned and the things I’ve replaced or dumped along the way.
Tank bag: Wolfman Rainer Main compartment:
- Toilet bag: small folding shovel, pee bottle, tissues, wet wipes, had sanitiser
- Documents (passport, V5 & driving license – insurance, breakdown cover, health cover etc are packed in a pannier)
- Battery charging
- 1L Platypus and drinking hose
- Small micro-fibre towel
- 1 x emergency field dressing
- Maps & Recta elite global compass… (I rely almost entirely on my Zumo 660 with the most up-to-date FREE and downloadable OSM maps – but a real map and compass is vital to cover GPS failure)
- Multi-purpose lock knife
- Dummy wallet (expired cards: credit/debit cards, old drivers license, old receipts and small amount of local daily currency).
- Chewing gum, lypsil, sunblock, Ibuprofen, bin bags, electrical tape
- Stanley multi-tool
- LED head torch
- Mossie headnet
- 100% Deet spray
- Write-in-the-Rain notepad & some pens
CrossBar Bag: Wolfman Fender
- Hip flask with some Johnnie Walker black (great to have a tipple)
- Pipe & tobacco & cigarettes (even if you don’t smoke cigarettes break the ice and grease the wheels, they can get you through borders quicker and might help avoid speeding tickets)
Right side pannier:
- MSR Hubba Hubba Tent, poles, pegs, footprint(s) & loft
- Sleep System: Exped 7DLX inflatable down mattress, Thermarest fitted sheet, large Thermarest Ventra (in a Medium Sea-to-Summit Event Compression Sack) & Nimo Fillo travel pillow
Left side pannier:
- Trangia (or Optimus Nova+ or Optimus Crux)
- Trangia cookset: Sea-to-Summit X-bowl, titanium spork, Microbites utensils, MSR grater/strainer, MSR alpine scraper/scub, tea towel, dish soap (or Optimus Terra Cookset)
- MSR Hyper Flow water filter & chlorine dioxide steri-tabs
- Laundry kit (in an Exped waterproof bag), mesh bag, Sea-to-summit 10L kitchen sink, Sea-to-summit clothes line, Sea-to-summit laundry wash.
- Laptop & cables: EU adaptor, USB-SD adaptor, Iphone charger.
- 1x field dressing & 1 x survival blanket
Pannier Accessories: strapped to outside
- 2x 1L bottles: oil & fuel (the bottles I used were not well suited for fuel – I now use a proper 2L fuel can, thereby carrying 2 x 2L Jerry cans of fuel).
- 2L Jerrycan: fuel
Touratech Exterior Lid Bag Left
- 4L Dromedary.
- Knife Sharpener
- Sewing kit
- First Aid Kit
- Boot kit: small brush, boot polish
- Bike rain cover
- Clear visor
- Chain lube
- 2 x spare Rok straps (simply the best straps you can get)
- Disc alarm lock & cable
Wolfman Tank Panniers I modified the straps of the Wolfman Tank Panniers to make them fit my ADV-Spec Crash Bars but when I crashed in Irkutsk it tore one of the straps. Luckily I took with me my waterproof US-10L Kriega bags, which worked out great. I’ve since modified them further by adding some velcro tabs to go around the crash bars, much better.
- Waterproof trousers & poncho
- Spare summer gloves
- Bike-Start cables
Wolfman Enduro Fender Bag
Wolfman Expedition Small Duffel Bag
- Wash kit: micro-fibre towel, travel plug, shower gel, scrub, anti-perspirant, toothbrush, toothpaste & dental floss, small gillete razor, moisturiser, extra tissues, nail Clippers, folding wash bowl.
- Clothes: 5 x underwear, 5 x socks, 2 x cargo trousers/shorts, 3 x T-shirts, fleece jacket, thermal underwear
- Trainers & sandals
On my person
- Spare engine key around my neck
- Cardo Scala Rider Q3 & Drift Ghost HD
- UltimateEar custom made Sound Ears
On the Bike Under the seat:
- Spare Keys
- Owners manual with emergency credit card & $100 cash
- Taped to inside of fairing: emergency key, headlight bulb
- Zumo 660 in a Lockable Touratech V2 Mount
- Drift Ghost HD Remote
Touratech Tool Box (replaced with an ADV spec design and removable black army ammo tin)
- Optimus/Trangia 1L fuel bottle (petrol/meths for cooking)
I’ll post more pics of changes when I can…